Friday, September 30, 2011

A Construction Moment

My bathroom re-do is well underway. The guys are working really hard and doing a beautiful job. Then yesterday at 6 p.m. as they were finishing for the day, they told me they had run out of tile.

¨How can that be?¨  I asked. ¨I bought the amount you said you needed.¨

¨Yes but we thought you were getting bigger tiles. These tiles are chico,¨ they replied.

¨But you told me to get 8 square meters and I did. It doesn´t matter how big or small the tiles are, they still should cover 8 square meters.¨

¨No, senora,¨ they explained patiently. ¨When the tiles are smaller you need more and they get used up quicker.¨

My beautiful chico tiles

¨Um, okay, ¨I said, scratching my head like Curly of the Three Stooges, ¨then I guess we need some more tile.¨

We decided not to go the square meter route this time and count instead. Cinco cajas -  five boxes - they told me.

It necessitated a three-hour round-trip drive to the tile factory, where I showed them the sample and ordered six boxes to be on the safe side.  They loaded them into the car for me. When I got home, I discovered they were the wrong color.

So it´s back to Delores Hidalgo again tomorrow for me. At least it´s a nice drive.

Out of the car window on the road to Delores Hidalgo

1 comment: